Monday, August 2, 2010

Cutting costs on homeschooling

This upcoming school year is still leaving us in the slumps of an economic downturn. I haven't seen at all how the economy is getting better. But in light of it all we have to be wary of how much the tab can be when buying our curriculum. There are a few ways to get around the mass price tag on some of them.

Who likes the library? We sure do. There is something to do for all ages. I like to sit and read while watching the kids play. My oldest likes to find a cozy spot in a corner with a window and read. My son likes to peruse the Magic Treehouse books and read a couple chapters of each. My 5 yr old likes the puppet stage and dolls. My littlest like the Thomas table and the Playmobile site. Something for everyone. But better for our pocketbooks is the fact that you can find almost any reader that you'd need for your child's grade level. Often times you can find every book you'd need. If not something close. I know in my daughter's curriculum we are learning World History and I could look over what years she will be covering in that and get books on it. Same for every other subject.

Most of us know someone else who is homeschooling or you're part of a homeschool group. I'm sure someone else has just finished a curriculum that you could use or use bits and pieces from different curriculum from different friends. Make sure you don't mark it up unless they won't want it back. Make copies of things if you have multiple children so you can reuse everything. I buy curriculum once and make copies so I can reuse it. I've even made copies of workbooks to reuse. The cost of copies is often less than a new book. But make sure you do your math on that. Sometimes it's not worth it.

The other way is to purchase your curriculum second-hand. From Ebay or another company like it. Some areas have homeschool bookstores. It took a lot more effort on my part, but I paid $100 less one year for my curriculum. Depending on your curriculum you can get it for up to $400 less on Ebay. But you have to win the auction. (That I'm not good at!)

There are many ways to cut costs on homeschooling. Also in some states, like PA, they will provide you with curriculum if you make the request on time. You can pick and choose.

Cutting costs on homeschooling is very important in these stressful economic times and even if you're not stressed by finances it never hurts to save money on your curriculum to use on a wonderful vacation to anywhere you want to go.

Go to the library, get involved with other homeschoolers or/and look into Ebay or homeschool bookstores.

No comments:

All about Applemama

I'm a homeschool mother of 4 wonderful children. My girls are 11, 4 and 2. My only son is 8 and full of energy. We live in rural PA, and have 8 chickens, 5 rabbits, 3 cats, 3 ducks, and one mouse.

We were married here 11 years ago and moved off to FL - then to VA - and now back here after my husband's job was uprooted and not transplanted. He found a job to work in his field (at least somewhat) and we are taking a wonderful opportunity to move back to where we met. We have old friends here and enjoy reconnecting with the church where we were married. We love it and are making many new friends.

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible

BibleGateway.com Include this form on your page

Applemama's Fan Box

Applemama on Facebook