Thursday, August 4, 2011

Back to the trenches!

My children and I are very excited to start school this year. We have cleaned up the school room that doubles as a playroom. It got out of hand in there since we had a lot of fun this summer.

We went to our local Black Moshannon State Park a few times and also to Delgrosso's. We went back to visit our favorite place with some of our favorite people in Va Beach, VA. We moved from there just over 4 years ago now and hadn't been back to visit for all this time.
We had a blast. Went to the beachfront one night. Two of my little ones enjoyed the waves for the first time and my son just didn't remember it at all, so it was like a first time for him. My oldest remembered the beach, but not a lot of the people. At church on Sunday she saw a lot of her friends and then she remembered them, but she was very shy towards them. Just a flourish of her personality that's popped out in the last 4 years.
We took time each day to dedicate to visiting old friends. Catching up after 4 years is hard. Thank goodness for Facebook otherwise we wouldn't have been in touch at all.
We saw our old house, it's being rented out now and drove by my childhood home. That was neat. I almost drove right past it for how tall the trees have grown. My dad and I planted them when I was 9 years old at 2 feet tall, now they're nigh on past 100ft.
Needless to say we had a lot of fun, made some memories to last a lifetime and took in all the nostalgia. We'll be doing that again.

Back to school! We just ordered my daughter's curriculum from Sonlight and we are excited to get our box in the mail. It's almost like Christmas to us. The children are up in the attic now taking it upon themselves to pull our the 1st and 5th grade curriculums. We turned in our affidavits of intent to homeschool. We have to part-time register my 2 oldest so they can take the testing with the school, play sports and music. Since we have to pay taxes we are utilizing the perks that would cost us extra money otherwise.

Tell us how your school year is gonna start and what about your summer adventures.

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

Happy (early) Box Day, just in case you get too busy reading the new books to blog about Box Day when it comes [smile]. Have a great year, and I look forward to following along with your adventures both at home and in your sports and music opportunities.

~Luke

All about Applemama

I'm a homeschool mother of 4 wonderful children. My girls are 11, 4 and 2. My only son is 8 and full of energy. We live in rural PA, and have 8 chickens, 5 rabbits, 3 cats, 3 ducks, and one mouse.

We were married here 11 years ago and moved off to FL - then to VA - and now back here after my husband's job was uprooted and not transplanted. He found a job to work in his field (at least somewhat) and we are taking a wonderful opportunity to move back to where we met. We have old friends here and enjoy reconnecting with the church where we were married. We love it and are making many new friends.

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible

BibleGateway.com Include this form on your page

Applemama's Fan Box

Applemama on Facebook